On Thursday 17 Sep 2015 23:33:57 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 18/09/2015 00:26, Mick wrote:
> >>
> >> Or, someone deleted the ppd and the re-emerge put it back :-)
> >
> > Hmm ... now, who would that be, when I'm the only one with root access to
> > this box?  O_o
> >
> >> As the saying goes "never ascribe to malice what is adequately explained
> >> by stupidity"
> >
> > Yeah, right, I don't have to answer that.  :-p
>
> When you said "I managed to get 10 minutes access to the offending box"
> I figured it wasn't yours, that it had users, and you were the guy with
> the problem of sorting it out, and you needed some pointy haired bosses'
> permission to do it at all.
>
> Seems that's not actually the case?

It is indeed the case, with the pointy haired boss being the missus and the
box in question a production desktop. :-))

I have to admit that I can't recall messing up with the ppd files, or indeed
ever using hpijs on this box.

A couple of months ago the akonadi DB went sideways and kmail played up as a
result.  Again I was suspicious of btrfs, but neither the logs nor fsck showed
up anything.

The OS is on a single SSD (no RAID), with some caches and busy fs mounted on a
spinning disk.  I have some backups in case of DR, but after a while a
corrupted fs will have migrated to the back ups.
--
Regards,
Mick