On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 17:48:15 -0700 Daniel Frey wrote:
> On 09/18/2015 01:15 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > How tight is space? eclean-dist only removes distfiles for packages that
> > are no longer in the tree. So you can run it on one system and keep
> > $DISTDIR reasonably trimmed. If you use the --package-names option, it
> > will do as you suggest and only keep files needed by the machine running
> > the command.
> >

> Thanks for the replies.
>
> I regularly run eclean-dist on the mythtv frontends as I still have 32GB
> SSDs on a couple of them. These are pretty lean as all file shares &
> mythtv recordings are on the server that is running 24/7.
>
> I figured eclean-dist would wipe out everything that wasn't needed by
> the machine it was run on, but if all it does is clean stuff that isn't
> in the tree any longer that would work too.

This is controllable:
- eclean-dist cleans what is in the tree no longer and not
installed in the system;
- eclean-dist -d cleans everything not installed in the system.

One can also restrict cleaning by file date (e.g. don't touch files
newer than) or by file size; fetch-protected files may be spared
as well. See
  eclean-dist --help
for more details.

> The server I'd be running it on has ample space. Which is why I was
> debating over the http-replicator (thanks for the suggestion Peter!) and
> just exporting the damn distfiles directory.
>
> I think I'm going to try exporting it first and see if it does what I
> want first, if it works I'll leave it. :-)

We have a cluster of identical machines. Exporting over NFS works
just fine, though we exported not only /usr/portage,
but /usr/local/portage, /var/lib/layman and /var/cache/edb/dep as
well (we use sqlite backed for portage).

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko