Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> writes:

> On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 9:51 AM, lee <l...@yagibdah.de> wrote:
>> |
>> |   (dev-libs/boost-1.56.0-r1:0/1.56.0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
>> pulled in by
>> |     (no parents that aren't satisfied by other packages in this slot)
>> |
>> |   (dev-libs/boost-1.55.0-r2:0/1.55.0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
>> pulled in by
>> |     dev-libs/boost:0/1.55.0= required by
>> (dev-libs/librevenge-0.0.2:0/0::gentoo, installed)
>> |                   ^^^^^^^^^^
>> |     (and 2 more with the same problem)
>> |
>>>  (I wrote the below)
>>> that doesn't work just try running emerge -1 on the packages that are
>>> causing the block by depending on the older package version?
>>
>> I suppose the newer versions of the packages are the ones that are
>> causing the blocks.  You could argue that other versions of packages are
>> causing the blocks, but I would argue that there weren't any blocks
>> before the newer versions of the packages were available, hence the
>> newer versions obviously cause the blocks.  That is to say that I'm
>> unsure which packages you're referring to as those causing the blocks.
>
> Apologies if it was a bit unclear.

np :)

> In this example, I'd run emerge -1 =dev-libs/librevenge-0.0.2
>
> You also need to run it on the "2 more with the same problem" but we
> don't know what those are.  Adding --verbose might help.  It should be
> safe to run emerge -1 on anything you already have installed.  If this
> is a dynamic deps issue then emerge -1 pkg will probably help.
>
> Either way, after trying that can you post the output of this:
>
> emerge -j 8 -p --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y --backtrack=500
> --verbose --tree @world
>
> That will show you what is pulling in updates to what.  I'm interested
> in the entire output of emerge, not just the parts you think are most
> relevant - feel free to attach a file containing it.

Well, what I did was basically:

emerge -a --changed-deps=y @world
emerge -j 8 -a --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y --backtrack=100 @world
[fix USE flag]
emerge -j 8 -a --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y --backtrack=100 @world
[remove nvidia-settings]
emerge -j 8 -a --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y --backtrack=100 @world
emerge @preserved-rebuild

That took about 2 hours to update 233 packages.  Then I made the new
kernel and found that for unknown reasons, without warning, the zfs
startup scripts were disabled (very bad idea ...).  Today I updated the
LXC guest and went over the kernel settings and managed to get my
trackball not to work anymore, then took quite a while to figure out
what was missing (it needs a HID driver which, for unknown reasons, got
disabled ...).

So after two days, I finally got seamonkey 2.35 (and a cleaned-up
kernel) ... and I wonder why libreoffice hasn't been updated.  Not that
it matters, but why not?

--
Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
might swallow us.  Finally, this fear has become reasonable.