Thanks to Alan and the others for the responses...

The main problem is this project is being managed by a non-tech manager
who apparently thinks they know a lot more than they do, and the Boss is
technically challenged, so it is easy for someone to convince him of
almost anything (like, he should delegate this to a non-tech person and
not involve his one tech guy)...

One reason he sometimes doesn't involve me until things get to this
point is because I tend to be a 'wet blanket', ruining bright shiny
sales pitches with injections of reality. You'd think he'd have learned
by now. The last time, about 5 years ago, the person who managed the
project (different person) didn't get ownership of the source code in
the contract, so we didn't get all of the source files for the Flash
junk they created, then when we wanted to make some changes to the text
embedded in  the Flash, I had to ask them for the source files, and
they wanted a bunch of money. Unbelievable.

We'll see how the dev(s) respond to my questions, but I may come back
here with more info and more advice if I need it.

Thanks again to all, it has been a big help!