I am trying to get printing to work properly in my recently built machine.
'hp-probe' identifies my printer as 'HP Deskjet 2510 series'.
When I print a text file from Gvim or a ps file from LO,
there are blank bands across the page, omitting lines or parts of letters.

I have managed to get Kwrite to print properly
via  file -> print -> options -> layout -> schema :
when set to 'normal' 'KDE' 'Vim dark', everything comes out as it should
(there are some amusing color effects, but it's all there).

Alongside Gentoo, I installed Mint 17.2 (Xfce),
which started printing properly via Gedit + LO
after I set print quality to 'high' via the 'http://localhost:631' menu
(I didn't go back to test Gvim there, but assume it would work too).
Gedit has its own internal print-quality menu too.

I have compared  /etc/hp/hplip.conf  in Gentoo vs Mint :
the Gentoo version of Hplip is 3.14.10 , Mint has 3.15.2 ;
the Gentoo version of Cups is 2.0 , Mint has 1.7 ;
the Gentoo version of Hplip was built with 'foomatic-ppd-install=no',
the Mint version with '...=yes'.

I can contrive to print text + ps files easily
by copying them to an appropriate partition & rebooting into Mint,
but Gentoo is supposed to make these things easier, not more difficult.

Finally, I've never got the print icon in Gvim to work :
I use the 'prtdialog' plug-in, which prints, but only badly as above.

Can anyone offer advice or suggestions ?

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca