On 11/06/2015 02:04 AM, Mick wrote:
> On Thursday 05 Nov 2015 23:45:11 the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
>> I'm putting a new box, it will run Gentoo (hylafax, Asterisk) and
>> Windows 7 in VirtualBox (mainly).  Box will run 24/7.
>>
>> Below are the components. Will I have a problem with any of them or is
>> there a better choice?
>> (the box need to be small as I don't have much room).
>>
>> - INWIN BL631 Low Power Micro ATX Case w/300W power supply
>
> What is the PSU?  For a 24-7 server/workstation this becomes a critical
> component and other than your SSD a cause of early failure.  Buy something
> with good quality capacitors (Japanese), or be prepared to get your soldering
> out in the not too distant future.

YES, yes that is my concern as well. Many of my boxes are running 24/7
and I have replaced PSU many time.
For example I have: Intel Atom CPU 330 @1.60GHz (run 24/7 Hylafax +
Asterisk)
It a tiny box, has one of those external 12V power adapters, I have
replaced that adapter 2-times and my the PS fried as well at the same
time, so I think PS was responsible for it.  I have now SSD 250GB in it.

So yes, I would like to find good power supply with JAPANESE capacitors
if possible.  That Chinese piece of CRAP doesn't last long.

Any recommendation for PSU with JAPANESE capacitors?
My problem is I'm buying a small case again:
INWIN BL631 Low Power Micro ATX Case  13" x 3.8" x 14.4"

so I don't know if I'll have very many choices when it comes to PSU

>> - Gigabit GA-78LMT-USB3 w/DDR3, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan
>> - Samsung 850 EVO Series Solid State Drive 1-TB
>
> Will you be eating up as much as 1-TB of data on a day to day basis?  I would
> suggest you buy two SSDs and set up a RAID1, to guard against SSD failure,
> plus a spinning drive for filesystems that are re-written frequently (e.g.
> application caches), critical data and back ups.

I don't have that much experience with RAID so if something goes wrong
by the time I trouble shoot it what when wrong and how to fix it, it
might take some time (a day+ or so); I can not afford it.

My solution is to run two boxes if one goes down to switch to another
box takes me only 15min.

>> - LG GH240 SuperMulti 24x DVD Writer, SATA (not sure if I even need it)?
>
> If you don't need it I'd save your money and spend it on a better CPU, MoBo,
> and/or RAM.
>

>> - Kingston HyperX FURY Black 16GB DDR3-1600MHz CL 10 Dual Channel (4x
>> 8GB) Total 32GB RAM
>
> Unless you will be running large databases and websites in RAM I can't see
> you
> ever using up all of this.  I'd save the money and buy faster memory
> (2133MHz,
> or 2400MHz), or if speed (O/C) is not important buy ECC memory instead.

Good suggestion.

>> - AMD FX-6300 Processor 3.5GHz w/ 14MB Cache
>
> A reliable workhorse and easy to O/C, but rather dated and overtaken both in
> performance and economy by Intel's products.  If economy features in your
> requirements and you don't do heavy gaming you may want to consider AMD's
> APUs
> like Kaveri.  In a few years you will probably save in electricity the small
> difference in price.

Are Intel's CPU better now-a-days?

What is the difference:
AMD FX-6300 Vishera is 6-Core CPU
AMD A10-7850K Kaveri Quad-Core 3.7 GHz

according to:
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-FX-6300-vs-AMD-A10-7850K
AMD FX-6300 is the winner (I'm not an expert on it).

> You will need a better cooler for either, if you are going to O/C them.

No, I have no need for over-clocking

>> - Asus GeForce GT610 CMS 2GB PCI-E w/ DVI HDMI

Most of the new video cards have only DVI or HDMI connections.
On my current setup I have two boxes using an old 9-pin (??) video
connection/cable connected via KVM switch, so quick hitting "2x Scroll
Lock" allows me for quick switching between them.  If I replace the box
with DVI/HDMI connection I'll be looking for a new KVM hybrid switch (if
one exist) or a different solution.  I only want one
mouse/monitor/keyboard to access them.

--
Thelma