Hi.  I am having a very bad problem which makes gnome unusable -- once I
get into the virtual console where the xserver is displaying gnome,
console 12 in my case, I can never get out of that console --
control-alt-f1 or anything does not work.  If I try to ssh in from
somewhere else, I cannot stop gdm because the x server will not stop --
even kill -9 will not stop it and I have to reboot the system.

I am using an nvidia card with the closed source module, if that makes
any difference.  I re-emerged the keyboard and evdev driver, but that
made no difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

How do
you spend it?