waltd...@waltdnes.org writes:

> On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 11:57:20AM +0100, lee wrote
>
>> He said that he "has a primary partition 1, which covers the entire
>> hard drive" and "a small / partition".  That made me think that he
>> has two disks.
>
>   Primary partitions are numbered 1 through 4 and logical partitions are
> numbered 5 and up.  The "primary partition" is the entire physical disk.

Hm, I don't consider extended partitions as primary ones but as extended
ones.  When I need more than four partitions, I create three primary
ones, an extended one and logical ones within the extended one.  Why
would I do that any other way?

You cannot have a primary partition that covers the entire disk and then
some.