On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 04:47:35AM +0100, waben...@gmail.com wrote
> waltd...@waltdnes.org wrote:
>
> >   I'm now at the configuring-the-kernel stage of the Gentoo guest
> > install.  I had originally expected to pull in the .config from the
> > host machine, make a few tweaks, and get going.  However, it appears
> > that multiple video and sound and network cards are supported, none
> > of which match those on the host.  Which ones do people recommend
> > selecting?
> >

> That's what I'm using to start qemu:
>
> qemu-system-x86_64 -machine accel=kvm -cpu host -m 4096 -enable-kvm -name
> vm-01 -net nic,model=virtio -net user,hostfwd=tcp::2022-:22 -localtime -hda
> /path/to/image.qcow2 -display gtk -vga vmware

  I can't get X to work on the guest.  Text console is OK, but no X.  I
ticked support for cirrus, bochs, qxl, and vmware emulation in the guest
kernel.  I wonder if I missed something.  I also emerged the
corresponding X drivers.  vmware was a pain because I had to rebuild mesa
and other stuff to emerge the vmware video driver.

  File-attached are Xorg logs for failed attempts with vga=
cirrus/std/vmware.  QEMU refused to start when I specified -vga qxl.
The vmware log looks like it started X properly, but it immediately
dumped me out, and gave an all-red QEMU window.  I ssh'd in from the
host to set up the next card.  I know that the all-red window was a text
console.  To reboot, I blindly typed "su -", followed by root password,
followed by "halt -p", and the QEMU session halted.

  I use the following script to boot up Gentoo on the guest.  I cycled
through all 4 cards...

#!/bin/bash
qemu-system-i386 -enable-kvm \
   -cpu host -display gtk -vga cirrus \
   -drive file=gentoo32.img,format=raw \
   -drive file=linuxswap.img,format=raw \
   -net nic,model=virtio \
   -rtc base=localtime,clock=host \
   -net user,hostname=gentoovm,hostfwd=tcp::2022-:22 \
   -m 3G -monitor stdio -name "Gentoo VM" \
   -parallel none \
   ${@

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>