On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 08:59:47PM +0100, waben...@gmail.com wrote
> waltd...@waltdnes.org wrote:
>
> These options are depending on CONFIG_HAS_IOMEM, CONFIG_DRM and
> CONFIG_PCI. You must activate all of these options too.

  All set in the guest kernel.

> > >   I think that you also need x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware installed
> > > on the guest if you want to use "-vga vmware".
> >
> >   I've tried that earlier, when things weren't working.  Maybe it'll
> > work this time.
>
> Good luck.

  "-vga vmware" started off OK in the text console today, but two major
problems...

1) No mouse or text cursor once I fired up X.  A Google search indicates
that no-cursor-in-graphics-mode is a common problem with Vmware across
all platforms.  The QEMU "-show-cursor" option did not help.  Otherwise X
looked OK, and xrandr listed some ridiculously high resolutions, higher
than my 1920x1080 monitor.

2) The mouse still worked, despite being invisible.  I was able to
blindly execute the mouse-click sequence to bring up the menu that
included logoff.  Once I returned to the text console, it was all red.
Again, the keyboard still worked, and I was able to blindly shut down
the guest.

  For now I'll stick with "-vga cirrus" or "-vga std".  Looking at the
Xorg logs, I noticed that in "-vga std" X was looking for the "fbdev"
module, not finding it, and giving up.  I emerged xf86-video-fbdev and X
now works in "-vga std", although xrandr reports only 1024x768 is
available.  I intend to use it in linux mostly for distcc, so limited X
Window size options aren't a problem.

  I didn't get much linux computing done today.  I picked up a cheap
external USB floppy drive at Canada Computers and transferred Galactic
Civilizations v2.5 for OS/2 from my ancient relic 450 mhz Pentium 3 (128
megs of RAM) to my QEMU machine.  The P3 has a built-in floppy drive; my
other computers don't.  The next challenge is to get OS/2 Warp 4 running
in QEMU as per http://sites.mpc.com.br/ric/qemu/

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>