First, basic definitions.

  distcc ==> compile on machine A for machine B.  No mention of whether
             the processors are different architectures.

  cross-compile ==> compile under architecture A for architecture B

  I'm trying to run a distccserver in a 32-bit VM on a 64-bit host, for
the benefit of my ancient 32-bit-only netbook.  Yeah, "it'll work" using
the native 64-bit host OS.  But any stuff that links against 32-bit
libraries is going to be sent back to the netbook to compile locally.
That defeats the whole purpose of distcc.  This is why I want the 32-bit
VM to compile for the 32-bit Atom.  Here's the launch script for the
32-bit VM on the i3 machine...

#!/bin/bash
qemu-system-i386 -enable-kvm \
   -cpu host -display gtk \
   -drive file=gentoo32.img,format=raw \
   -drive file=linuxswap.img,format=raw \
   -net nic,model=virtio \
   -rtc base=localtime,clock=host \
   -net
user,hostname=gentoovm,hostfwd=tcp::2022-:22,hostfwd=tcp::3632-:3632,hostfwd=udp::3632-:3632
 \
   -m 3G -name "Gentoo VM" \
   -parallel none \
   ${@}

  Amongst other things, it forwards port 3632 destined for the host, to
the VM.  "ssh -p 2022 root@192.168.123.249" works from the Atom to the
VM.  I get an ssh teminal.  There's no iptables blocking things, and
distccd is running on the VM (it's in the default rc-update level).  Yet
the Atom spits out stuff like...

distcc[8248] (dcc_pump_sendfile) ERROR: sendfile failed: Broken pipe
distcc[8248] (dcc_writex) ERROR: failed to write: Broken pipe
distcc[8248] Warning: failed to distribute shell.c to
192.168.123.249/6,lzo,cpp, running locally instead

...when trying to outsource the compile.  What am I doing wrong?

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>