On Sat, Jan 02, 2016 at 12:55:56PM -0600, Jc García wrote

> Then why the recently introuced  multilib method of bulding 32bit
> libraries for packages that need it on 64 bit works? I don't think the
> devs would have bothered to introudce the variable ABI_X86 and a
> mulitib eclass just to compile a  32bit Hello World.
>
> I'm not trying to make a flame here, but don't blame the compiler,
> when in this case is more likely you the user are doing something
> wrong.
> My guess is you are blaming the effects of  CPU_FLAGS_X86 on CFLAGS.

  The fact that I use "no-multilib" profiles on my 64-bit machines
probably doesn't help.  The example I was using involved a manual build
of Pale Moon from source.  I manually specified in the build script...

ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2 -march=bonnell -mfpmath=sse -pipe \
-fomit-frame-pointer -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables \
-mmmx -msse -msse2 -mssse3 -mmovbe -mfxsr"

...which are the options I use on my netbook client for outsourcing the
build process.  So the host's CPU_FLAGS_X86 setting should not be a
problem.

  I'd love to be proven wrong in my contention.  If you can run the
Mozilla-like build on a 64-bit OS, and produce a 32-bit binary, that's
the ultimate "torture-test".

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>