Frank Steinmetzger <war...@gmx.de> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 04, 2016 at 09:48:42PM +0100, waben...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > P.S.: distccmon is a good tool to watch the compilation processes.
>
> I never got it to display anything. I just tried it again: synced
> portage and ran a world update -- 16 Packages, among them
> kdevplatform, a lengthy Qt package (which by the way is one of those
> who benefit greatly from compression if distcc’ed over a slow
> network).
>
> At no time during building did I see any activity in distccmon-gui. I
> started it on both client and server and as my own user as well as
> root. Nada. Can you give a suggestion? Thanks.

It's a long time ago and I can't remember any problems or difficulties
with distccmon. IIRC I run it on the client and I used the gui as well
as the text version.

I don't remember wich UID I used for distccmon. Maybe it is necessary
to run it as user portage.

I would like to test it, but I don't have a second linux host that I
could use for a test. Only some xubuntu qemu VMs that are installed
on my gentoo box. And I don't know if these are working with distcc
and a gentoo host without problems.

And as I'm down with a ugly cold, I don't have enough power to build
up a test environment with some old hardware or struggle with bitchy
VMs.

--
Regards
wabe