James:

> Interesting read :: bgo #107875

I'm new to gentoo, is there some special semantic to the "bgo #" ?

> > > Let's be clear: static-dev is NOT a workaround. It is a full proper
> > > solution for the case when a dynamic device node solution is not
> > > desired.
> Well, I can think of embedded (linux) systems, a lock-down server and
> machine(s) loaded up with (NFV) Network Function Virtuals, as prime examples
> where a static dev is very useful; albeit a management pain if one is not
> careful. This is a very interesting topic for me.

I have had no pain useing an old plain /dev. What's the pain ?

> > > Of course it means you have to mknod every device you need yourself. But
> > > you know that going in right?
>
> > Yes (though I alreade have a /dev from before).
>
> For explicit clarity, you've got a "/dev" from using dev-manager on the
> system previously, and now you desire to switch to a static-dev? (Why ?)
>  Or did you derive from scratch (or other means) a '/dev' for a specific
> need you are working on by design, historical example etc?

No, I never used udev et al on my boxes, there has simply been no need.

> I apologize in advance, but this thread intersects some critical new
> thinking on systems cluster formation. I have ran into a small group of
> extraordinary coders that are building a Hi Performance Cluster out of C,
> Rust and a minimized static-dev.  So I am very curious as to your specific
> and detailed motives for this 'static-dev'. If a private note is warranted,
> feel encourage for that type of response. If this unbounded curiosity of
> mine is unwelcome, you have my deepest apologies.

I never had any compelling reason to let some daemon with mess with
/dev. And I have had a compelling reason to avoid it, when doing an
"usual" stable dist-upgrade of Debian lenny to squeze (I think), Debian
installed udev per default and everything just stopped working. And
that darn thing wouldn't uninstall and /dev wouldn't unmount to get
back my /dev-entries. So udev have only giving me pain and no gain.
The only thing dynamic theese days are usb. Usb disks I can handle
manually, usb kbd/mouse has always worked. I usually don't use more
than one keyboard so I don't really need xkb, nor do I need something
to autodetect keyboard layout, since I change it to something else
anyhow. And udev woun't detect my serial mouse anyhow... so much for
that.

That said, if I would like to test some "dev-manager" (except myself)
than I'd look into something that behaves nicely, like mdev (busybox)
or vdev (https://github.com/jcnelson/vdev.git).

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data