On 07/02/2016 20:35, Mick wrote:
> On Monday 08 Feb 2016 01:57:52 Andrew Lowe wrote:
>> On 02/08/16 01:38, Mick wrote:
>
>>> But you should be able to stop it from indexing your files.  If you go to
>>> systemsettings/Desktop Search you can disable it.
>>
>>      That's what I've come to the conclusion I'm going to need to do. This
>> "semantic desktop", for me, is a pile of rubbish. I don't need it and
>> don't want it, but the people at KDE apparently know better my needs
>> than I do so they have embedded this stuff so deep you can't untangle
>> it. It's just more gumpf that gets installed, for no other reason than a
>> developers ego trip.
>>
>>      Thanks for the comments,
>>              Andrew
>
> I think it was started by sponsorship via an EU project, back in the 00s,
> when
> Linux was seen as an alternative contender to the US MSWindows desktop
> monopoly.  To break into the corporate world the concept of a semantic
> desktop
> with a database back end was seen as key requirement.  I don't know if they
> were thinking of a corporate/federated database at the time, to share address
> books and client info, but the concept was not managed carefully through a
> staged release program.  They dumped their half-baked semantic desktop and
> KDEPIM nightmare onto unsuspecting users, who started losing their emails and
> address books.  This I recall was limited to one version of KDEPIM only, but
> the credibility of the whole project was lost at that point.  Thankfully KDE
> has improved since.  :-)

and I was the dumb sucker on gentoo-user who did lose emails and address
books

But I think you are conflating strigi, akonadi and nepomuk a little bit.

strigi always worked pretty good but it was a touch slow in early
versions. That was sorted real quick with the usual code optimization
and check-what-it-really-does developement cycle

nepomuk looked good on paper but was horribly complicated and other dev
had trouble with it. All of that is now mostly gone with Baloo (it's
really a version 3 situation)

akonadi was just a mess from the start. Another good idea on paper but I
think the devs completely underestimated what this was going to take to
work, in terms of man hours and cpu cycles. Right now it feels like a
half-cocked solution without a problem to solve

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com