On Monday 08 Feb 2016 00:43:35 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 07/02/2016 20:35, Mick wrote:
> >>>
> >>    That's what I've come to the conclusion I'm going to need to do. This
> >>
> >> "semantic desktop", for me, is a pile of rubbish. I don't need it and
> >> don't want it, but the people at KDE apparently know better my needs
> >> than I do so they have embedded this stuff so deep you can't untangle
> >> it. It's just more gumpf that gets installed, for no other reason than a
> >> developers ego trip.
> >>
> >>    Thanks for the comments,
> >>
> >>            Andrew
> >
> > I think it was started by sponsorship via an EU project, back in the 00s,
> > when Linux was seen as an alternative contender to the US MSWindows
> > desktop monopoly.  To break into the corporate world the concept of a
> > semantic desktop with a database back end was seen as key requirement.  I
> > don't know if they were thinking of a corporate/federated database at the
> > time, to share address books and client info, but the concept was not
> > managed carefully through a staged release program.  They dumped their
> > half-baked semantic desktop and KDEPIM nightmare onto unsuspecting users,
> > who started losing their emails and address books.  This I recall was
> > limited to one version of KDEPIM only, but the credibility of the whole
> > project was lost at that point.  Thankfully KDE has improved since.  :-)
>
> and I was the dumb sucker on gentoo-user who did lose emails and address
> books

You weren't the only one.  I lost data too, although this was on a test
machine and I had back ups to recover the situation.

> But I think you are conflating strigi, akonadi and nepomuk a little bit.
>
> strigi always worked pretty good but it was a touch slow in early
> versions. That was sorted real quick with the usual code optimization
> and check-what-it-really-does developement cycle
>
> nepomuk looked good on paper but was horribly complicated and other dev
> had trouble with it. All of that is now mostly gone with Baloo (it's
> really a version 3 situation)
>
> akonadi was just a mess from the start. Another good idea on paper but I
> think the devs completely underestimated what this was going to take to
> work, in terms of man hours and cpu cycles. Right now it feels like a
> half-cocked solution without a problem to solve

Yes, you're right I conflated the unholy trinity of file indexing, semantic
desktop and PIM, because as metadata concepts they were joined in the mind of
their creators, who appear to be having wet dreams involving Big Data.  None
of this was broken in KDE 3 or was in any way missing for some of us.  :p

--
Regards,
Mick