On 07/03/2016 15:58, Andrew Lowe wrote:
> On 03/07/16 21:15, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>> On 07/03/2016 14:40, Andrew Lowe wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>     I've done a, somewhat poor, piecemeal upgrade of a KDE 4 machine to
>>> Plasma. I'm still faced with a mix of 4/Plasma applications and it
>>> doesn't appear to be getting any better. Is it possible to have a pure
>>> qt5/Plasma install?
>>
>> Not yet, unless you wan to do without certain very useful apps that are
>> still KDE 4 SC. Like Okular.
>>>
>>>     I think I've probably got "masks" and "enables" and "uses" all over the
>>> place confusing everything - or have I.
>>
>> That's normal for this stage of the game
>>
>>> Has anyone else reached "Plasma
>>> Nirvana"?
>>
>> No. Not even the KDE devs.
>>

>>>     Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
>>>
>>>             Andrew
>>>

> Good, I can now rest easy that I haven't stuffed things up big time.
>
>       Andrew

quoting Jonathan Callan from a rpely in a different thread earlier today:

"Some packages in KDE Applications have been ported to use the new KDE
Frameworks 5 libraries.  Those packages are in slot :5.  Other
packages have not yet (or had not yet) been updated, and still link
against kdelibs:4.  Those packages are in slot :4.  We are simply
following upstream in the versioning scheme (with regards to
everything being "15.12" for the December release, or "15.08" for the
October release).

Note that upstream split the old "KDE Software Compilation" (formerly
"KDE Desktop Environment") into three separate parts: KDE Frameworks,
Plasma, and KDE Applications."

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com