Here's another way I started using (~1 month) and it seems both simple
and problem free.  Run http-replicator on the machine with good net
access, then point the rest at it.  Its a distfile caching proxy and
best of all, its in potage and there is a gentoo wiki doc on how to set
it up.  Nice!

BillK

*  net-proxy/http-replicator
      Latest version available: 3.0