Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > # eselect python list
> >   [2]   python3.4 *

> You are being especially obtuse this time. Ate too many chocolate easter
> eggs this weekend?

That's the nicest way somebody has ever call me a moron, pig-headed
or just dense. sorry...

> LOOK at the emerge output please (eselect python is a red herring), this
> is what it says:

>   The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
>     exactly-one-of ( python_single_target_python3_4
> python_single_target_python3_5 )

> Clear as daylight. It says right there it needs PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET to
> be 1, and only 1, between 3.4 and 3.5.
> You have it set as 2.7 per your emerge info.

Not intentionally.

> Do what Q says 1 reply higher up in this sub-thread and your problem
> will go away.

I got all of that.

> Here's what's happening:
> When the ebuild installs a python package, it needs to determine what
> python you will use and what goes in the python script shebang. This is
> what PYTHON*TARGET does - it's really just a USE flag and emerge uses
> that USE flag to figure out which python version to install against.

> The flag is defined like any other flag - globally in make.conf or
> per-package in package.use. The ebuild can and should assist by setting
> it's own variables about what it can work with, but all of that is
> undone when you override the ebuild with your own USE.

> There is no bug here, your USE is set wrong by default.

> eselect python: This handy gadget is a different thing from the above.
> It determines what gets run when you type the command "python",
> "python2" or "python3", because you can have lots of them. eselect
> python tells Gentoo what is the global default. It has NOTHING to do
> with installs.

Actually, I did not know this, seriously. I thought that setting eselect
python, was the master way of setting *everything* to the version of python
selected, including the relevant USE flags. I got it now. No worries.

And yes I'm severely distracted with several other things. I'm only
interested in a variety of video codes, to run on gentoo  clusters
as custom frameworks, benchmarking and testing. I'm just now bothering
to learn python.

Sorry for being so dense:: piss-poor assumption on my part.

James