I too often forget to use sudo along with emerge --ask, which gets me
a prompt to add --pretend to the options, e.g.

$ emerge -a firefox
This action requires superuser access...
Would you like to add --pretend to options? [Yes/No] n
$ doh
Password:

Calculating dependencies /... done!

( 'doh' is an alias for 'sudo $(history -p \!\!)'  )

I never want to add --pretend to the options;  if I've used --ask,
I also meant to use sudo.  I've looked through the documentation and
couldn't find a way to stop emerge from prompting me about --pretend,
so now I'm asking you if I've overlooked a way.