On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 20:49:06 +0300
gevisz <gev...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I'm pretty sure what happened was that vlc had a security issue,
> >> and a new version had to be stabilized, some time in 2014 or early
> >> 2015.  At that point, for opus support the new stable VLC required
> >> an unstable opus, so they stable-masked the flag for VLC.  Later,
> >> a new-enough opus was stabilized;  at that point, the flag for VLC
> >> should have been unmasked, but it fell through the cracks.  There
> >> was already whining in bug comments about it not getting done, so
> >> I didn't add my voice.
> >
> > Thank you both for the help.
> >
> > After creating /etc/portage/profile/package.use.stable.mask
> > with the line
> > media-video/vlc -opus
> > I finally could see the opus use flag via
> > equery uses vlc
> >
> > Setting this flag and recompiling vlc solved the problem.
>
> But I still have a feeling that it should have been done in a better
> way. ;)

As far as I could tell, the reason the mask didn't get taken out of the
profile(s) was that discussion of it was mostly in a meta bug and in a
bug about stabilization for VLC itself and it's nobody's responsibility
to track and undo flag masks which are no longer needed.

Ben de Groot is the one who masked it in the first place.  There was
good reason at the time, but there's no good reason I could find to
continue with it masked.

$ grep -iRC 2 opus /usr/portage/profiles/* | grep -iC 2 groot
--
/usr/portage/profiles/arch/amd64/package.use.stable.mask-
/usr/portage/profiles/arch/amd64/package.use.stable.mask-# Ben de Groot