...and disappointment...

Hello list,

A month or so ago I asked here for recommendations for a graphics card to do
mucho GPU calculations, as I was buying a new system. Well, two weeks ago
today the new system arrived. It took me five whole days to find a way to get
it to boot, what with its UEFI BIOS and its Radeon R9 M295X Mac Edition
display card. I was pretty firmly stuck until Neil B. reminded me of
gummiboot. That did the trick. I couldn't get UEFI to run grub at all here
(nothing very grand about it in this case).

Then the display card. Well, after another 10 days of googling and trial and
error, yesterday I arrived at a setup that works. Here are the versions I
needed to specify:

# cat /etc/portage/package.keywords
~dev-libs/libclc-0.1.0_pre20150305
~sci-misc/boinc-7.4.42
sys-apps/nvme-cli
sys-boot/gummiboot
~sys-devel/clang-3.6.2
~sys-devel/llvm-3.6.2
sys-firmware/amdgpu-ucode
~sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.4.6
~x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu-1.0.1

-----------------------------

That's the excitement. The disappointment is with KMail. The reason I bought
the new box is that the old one had developed a hardware fault, somewhere in
the PCI region of the chipset I think. Down the years I've been accumulating
e-mails that fault appears to have damaged a lot of e-mails to the point
that KMail couldn't handle them and threw wobblers all over the place. So
now I end up with empty mail folders. I have archives from 19 March and
before which I daren't import, but everything between then and last Friday
has gone.

So, if anyone addressed anything to me in the last month, I'm afraid I can't
answer you - sorry.

Going back to the GPU calculations, I'm quite certain that I couldn't ever
have succeeded with any other distro than Gentoo, with portage's uncanny
ability to winkle out the most obscure collisions and dependencies, so I'm
very happy to echo Alan Mackenzie's praise for it.

Well done, our devs, and thank you!

--
Rgds
Peter