On 2016-05-06, James <wirel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'd like to to install winusb, and it appears to depend on grub-2:
>>   $ sudo emerge -av winusb
>
> Ok, so I've never used winusb, so excuse me for asking a few dumb
> questions here. Even after reading a bit and searching around, I
> have these dumb questions. I did not find sufficient reading
> materials to 'turn the light on' as to when and why and how this
> winusb is used.
>
> 1. So winusb can put a window (vista-->8) image on a usbstick that will
>    boot most x86 orx86-64 hardware with the appropriate windows binary?
>    The hardware can then be installed with the windows image?

That's my understanding.  [I haven't actually done it yet.]

Many of the machines I use no longer have (working) optical
drives. When doing OS installs I almost always use USB flash drives.
I've been doing Linux installs that way for yonks. Most Linux OS
distro .iso images are already "hybrid" so they boot as-is from a
block storage device.  In my experience, those that aren't can be
fixed up with a simple "isohybrid" command.

Now I want to stop buring Windows DVDs.

> 2. winusb can be used as a live_windows on a linux system where
>    changes are retain on the usb stick?

No, I don't think so.

> 3. winusb can be used to install windows in a VM?

Presumably -- if you can boot the VM from a USB storage device.

> 4. winusb can be used to install windows in a container?

I don't know enough about containers to posit an answer.

--
Grant