On 05/13/2016 06:09 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2016-05-11, Jonathan Callen <jcal...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> Looking further at the ebuilds in question, it appears that if you wish
>> to have older versions of GCC installed with >=gcc-4.9, you need to have
>> USE=multislot on the *newer* versions of gcc (this USE=multislot doesn't
>> appear to be completely broken like the old USE=multislot was; now the
>> SLOTs are constant with respect to USE).
>
> So slots no longer "just work" like they have for the past 15 years?
>
> You now have to explicitly request installation in a slot by setting
> the multislot flag?
>
> Did I miss an eselect news warning about this?
>
> Is this true for all packages that were previously installed in slots,
> or have gcc and a select few been chosen specially for this breakage?

In this case, it's *just* GCC that has this issue.  It appears that the
definition of the "multislot" flag for sys-devel/gcc,
sys-devel/gcc-apple, and sys-devel/kgcc64 changed from meaning "Make all
the SLOTs include the minor version" (so SLOT=4.9.3) to "Allow multiple
versions of GCC to be installed at all (instead of one per CTARGET)"
[although it doesn't quite do that yet; reason unknown].  This change
appears to have been committed back in March, the reason we are all
seeing it hit now (as of 8 May) is that portage finally has a reason to
want to recompile GCC, because there is a new "vtv" flag available (for
vtable verification).

--
Jonathan Callen