On Sunday 10 Jul 2016 03:08:43 I wrote:

> I don't want to go to KDE-5 until I can find a way to reduce the absurd
> amount of vertical space occupied by every line of text. It will still be
> ugly, but at least more manageable.

I've found what I was looking for. There's a pair of settings for "strut" in
the Qt settings panel: one each for minimum x and minimum y text size. All I
had to do was to put a small, non-zero number in there and the vertical space
occupied by a line of text became more reasonable.

I could have found this earlier but I didn't recognise the term "strut". I
knew about "leading" (a strip of lead that a printer would insert between rows
of text to space them out); it seems this is similar in effect.

That's today's new thing to learn. I hope it helps somebody.

--
Rgds
Peter