On 11/07/2016 23:03, Grant Edwards wrote:
On 2016-07-11, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 2016-07-11, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

why don't you go with the dns server addresses supplied by each
network's dhcp? Presumably the admin put them their because they
work on that network.

One might think that, but I find it often not to be the case.  I can
recall many networks where the DNS servers returned by the DHCP server
didn't work well at all, and things got a _lot_ better when I manually
configured a couple working DNS servers (e.g. the Google ones at
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).  Around here, Comcast's DNS servers are famously
bad.

Then shoot the idiot running that wireless network.

You're not actually allowed to do that General Dreedle...

If he's one of my juniors, tell me so I can fire him (as he's just
proved he can't do the job he's paid to do)

And if you're at a customer or vendor site?  A friend's or relative's
house?  Using a municiple WiFi system?  Using WiFi on an airplane,
bus, train, whatever?

Sometimes you just need to get along with people and get some work
done.  You always can't demand that things get done your way or
somebody's gonna get fired or taken out back and beaten...

Pretty much always worked for me. I'm one of the guys that sets things up so that guys like you have no reason to ever say "Around here, Comcast's DNS servers are famously bad". Replace "Comcast" with the real name of my real employer. If my team gets that wrong (and we never have thus far), millions of people immediately and at once suffer. So forgive me if I'm a tad touchy on the subject.

But seriously, if the dns servers provided by dhcp aren't up to snuff then by all means put working ones in your resolv.conf. And also help the owner of the network fix his config - there really is no excuse for setting up software to tell people to use broken or badly behaved caches.

Alan