On Monday 11 Jul 2016 23:50:48 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 11/07/2016 23:03, Grant Edwards wrote:

> >> Then shoot the idiot running that wireless network.
> >
> > You're not actually allowed to do that General Dreedle...
> >
> >> If he's one of my juniors, tell me so I can fire him (as he's just
> >> proved he can't do the job he's paid to do)
> >
> > And if you're at a customer or vendor site?  A friend's or relative's
> > house?  Using a municiple WiFi system?  Using WiFi on an airplane,
> > bus, train, whatever?
> >
> > Sometimes you just need to get along with people and get some work
> > done.  You always can't demand that things get done your way or
> > somebody's gonna get fired or taken out back and beaten...
>
> Pretty much always worked for me. I'm one of the guys that sets things
> up so that guys like you have no reason to ever say "Around here,
> Comcast's DNS servers are famously bad". Replace "Comcast" with the real
> name of my real employer. If my team gets that wrong (and we never have
> thus far), millions of people immediately and at once suffer. So forgive
> me if I'm a tad touchy on the subject.
>
> But seriously, if the dns servers provided by dhcp aren't up to snuff
> then by all means put working ones in your resolv.conf. And also help
> the owner of the network fix his config - there really is no excuse for
> setting up software to tell people to use broken or badly behaved caches.
>
> Alan

All good points made here and Alan's style of leadership (...daily floggings
will continue until morale improves) surely works in some cases.  However, in
certain locations there are 2 or 3 open WiFi networks which I may accidentally
associate with.  They will not let you use their network without
registering/login in with them, using your browser.  So, when I end up
associating with any of them, their nameservers pollute my resolv.conf and
delays ensue every time I seek a URL.  Sometimes the WiFi network is one I
want to associate with, but not use its relatively slower nameservers, until I
unplug the ethernet cable and roam around the office.  There are more nuanced
use cases (some network servers are not accessible via WiFi, but are via
ethernet) but I don't want to complicate further the basic requirement:

It would be great if the order of nameservers entered in /etc/resolv.conf
respected the metric of the NIC.

--
Regards,
Mick