On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 11:56:50 AM Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 Aug 2016 12:06:43 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > You should elaborate more and be specific on what you mean by "The
> > reason is an intermittent series of apparently unrelated things going
> > wrong."
>
> Here's one then: In KMail (yes, I know*) the folder list contains an item
> "trash" (ugh!), but when I come to empty it it's called "Wastebin" (much
> better) in the drop-down menu.

Check your language/internationisation settings.
The translations is from "kde-apps/kdepim-l10n"

> And another: if I move my user account away and create a new one, setting
> KDE plasma up from scratch (this is ~amd64), the system-settings panel has
> no icons and the single-click-to-open preference is ignored, even though
> it's the default and I already have it set anyway. Then, if I revert to the
> original home directory, which has followed events through the last six
> months, those faults disappear.

Hmm... not sure where this comes from

> > Work the real problem, not an assumed one :-)
>
> Of course - when I can find it! I'm just trying to ensure that the system is
> clean before I go tilting at windmills. Possibly, I'm just seeing the
> immaturity of KDE-5. So be it, if so.

Could be...

> * I've seen references to KMail 5.0.3 already Out There, so I'm sticking
> with it in the hope that 5.* will be more solid.

I'm still using Kmail 4.x until Kmail 5 becomes unmasked...

If you want a truly clean build:
emerge -ae @system
emerge -ae @world
emerge -a --depclean

(That's what I did last time I had too many strange issues)

--
Joost