On Tuesday 30 Aug 2016 13:38:13 J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 11:56:50 AM Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > On Tuesday 30 Aug 2016 12:06:43 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > > You should elaborate more and be specific on what you mean by "The
> > > reason is an intermittent series of apparently unrelated things going
> > > wrong."
> >
> > Here's one then: In KMail (yes, I know*) the folder list contains an
> > item
> > "trash" (ugh!), but when I come to empty it it's called "Wastebin" (much
> > better) in the drop-down menu.
>
> Check your language/internationisation settings.
> The translations is from "kde-apps/kdepim-l10n"

I can't find anything wrong with those settings. Everything is set to
British English.

$ locale -a
en_GB
en_GB.iso88591
en_GB.iso885915
en_GB.utf8
POSIX

$ eselect locale list
Available targets for the LANG variable:
  [1]   C
  [2]   en_GB
  [3]   en_GB.iso88591
  [4]   en_GB.iso885915
  [5]   en_GB.utf8 *
  [6]   POSIX
  [ ]   (free form)

> > And another: if I move my user account away and create a new one,
> > setting KDE plasma up from scratch (this is ~amd64), the system-settings
> > panel has no icons and the single-click-to-open preference is ignored,
> > even though it's the default and I already have it set anyway. Then, if
> > I revert to the original home directory, which has followed events
> > through the last six months, those faults disappear.
>
> Hmm... not sure where this comes from

But this time, the single-click-to-open preference is still ignored.

You see, the system is behaving inconsistently - even irrationally at times.

--->8

> > * I've seen references to KMail 5.0.3 already Out There, so I'm sticking
> > with it in the hope that 5.* will be more solid.
>
> I'm still using Kmail 4.x until Kmail 5 becomes unmasked...

As far as I can see, Kmail 5 isn't even in the tree yet.

> If you want a truly clean build:
> emerge -ae @system
> emerge -ae @world
> emerge -a --depclean
>
> (That's what I did last time I had too many strange issues)

I've done that or similar many times over the last several weeks. I think
I'm left with just one sensible option: to build a new system from scratch,
complete with a new user account, not carrying anything but necessities over
from the current system.

--
Rgds
Peter