On 2016-08-30, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 20:42:05 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> > And why use exfat if you use linux? It is just not needed at all.
>>
>> I agree.  If you want to transport something between Linux systems,
>> use ext2/3 and use "mount" options to handle the permission issues.
>
> You can't control ownership and permissions of existing files with mount
> options on a Linux filesystem. See man mount.

Oops, you're right.  I guess the options I was thinking of don't work
for ext2/3.  They do work for fat, cifs, hfs, hpfs, ntfs, iso9660, and
various others.

I very rarely put a writable filesystem on a USB flash drive. I treat
them either as a CD/DVD for installation ISO images, or I use them as
"tapes" and just tar stuff to/from them.

I do make a point of using consistent UID/GID values across multiple
installations, so on the rare occasions I do put a writable filesystem
on a flash drive, it "just works".

--
Grant