I've been struggling for the last week with an upgrade to KDE 3.4 which
didn't go well.  Lots of things aren't working, mostly kicker applets.
Just now I was poking around and got some error messages which were
helpful.  I'm including an example, but basically it looks like my
3.4 KDE programs are for some reason looking for shared libraries in
my /usr/kde/3.1 directory.  How does KDE know where to look for libraries?
Here is an example of an error message I'm getting (running 3.4):