Am Thu, 15 Sep 2016 20:36:20 +0200
schrieb Dan Johansson <dan.johans...@dmj.nu>:

> After upgrading to Plasma (KDE5) I have a problem with my dual monitor
> setup.
>
> When I start/restart a new session both monitors are "displayed" "on
> top" of each other (see Screenshot_20160915_201441.png). After
> "dragging" DVI-I-1 to the right of DVI-D-0 in SystemSettings (see
> Screenshot_20160915_201601.png) everything looks OK.
>
> Any suggestions why this is happening (some file-permission some
> where?) and where to search for a solution?

I often find files owned by "root" in my $HOME... This could explain
some oddities tho I didn't see your effect yet.

You can quickly find such files and directories with

# find $HOME -user root

I'd also check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf (and .../xorg.conf.d directory),
modern installations usually do not contain screen configuration there.
You may want to clean up there if there's something configured.

FWIW, I have the following /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Device0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option         "Stereo" "0"
        Option         "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-1"
        Option         "metamodes" "HDMI-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DVI-D-0:
nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
        Option         "SLI" "Off"
        Option         "MultiGPU" "Off"
        Option         "BaseMosaic" "off"
        SubSection     "Display"
                Depth       24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

It's only needed because I'm booting with EFI GOP and the VBIOS defines
my TV as the primary monitor resulting in very very tiny fonts if I
don't change the order to use "DFP-1" first.

Actually, I want my system to clone both outputs - that is why I
position both on offset +0+0 statically. But upon login, KDE will apply
whatever I defined in kscreen.

So maybe you have some script running which "unapplies" this during
login after KDE has set the settings? Check you login session scripts.

--
Regards,
Kai

Replies to list-only preferred.