It took me all of my skills ;-) . But I installed Pale Moon, using my
local overlay made from the official
https://github.com/deuiore/palemoon-overlay
which installed, via my Cgit bare git repo served by my (local only yet)
Apache, and so from my local mirror, in arcane ways (which I do not
understood the how completely yet, but the install is faultless), by
serving the git packs to emerge from the local git clone'd, and
cgit-on-apache-served
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon
.

That's new technology. EAPI=6 in the ebuild of the above linked official
palemoon-overlay ! Nothing I've seen in my previous 7 years as Gentoo
user. Only slowly gone into production since less than two years ago now.

I'd like to provide detailed info here how the above happened to perform
so faultlessly, because I may really need to brush some details (to be
able to keep installing it from cgit-on-apache local mirror, I still
can't believe it happened ;-) ), and to ask for advice on understanding
some of the details, and because those details may be useful to other
users, in the next email.

In the next email, because I first would like to post about the goodness
of Pale Moon, about the why it is the browser to recommend and support,
and what a newbie might find still lacking its the current overlay offer
(it should move to Portage proper and become official in Gentoo
mainstream!), from what I'ver learned about Pale Moon so far.

So, this... :

On 161221-01:17+0100, Miroslav Rovis wrote:
> On 161220-03:00-0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 01:25:19PM +0100, Miroslav Rovis wrote
> >   The Pale Moon project is located at...
> > https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon
> That is certainly also what the official overlay uses, the one listed in:
> https://overlays.gentoo.org/
> Unpacking objects: 100% (8/8), done.
> From https://github.com/deuiore/palemoon-overlay
>  237160b..d0b6f90  master     -> origin/master
>  Updating 237160b..d0b6f90
>  Fast-forward
>  www-client/palemoon-bin/Manifest                   |   3 +
>        www-client/palemoon-bin/palemoon-bin-27.0.3.ebuild | 112
>        ++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  www-client/palemoon/Manifest                       |   3 +-
>  www-client/palemoon/palemoon-27.0.2.ebuild         |   6 +-
>  www-client/palemoon/palemoon-27.0.3.ebuild         | 239

                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

...[the above] is my install, but: it happened in my Air-Gapped
machine, this time.

And Palemoon perfectly logs the SSL-keys, just like its elder sibling
Firefox does, so I won't spend any more talk on that.

But I enjoy using programs when they are (or when I feel they are, of
course this may be somewhat subjective) pure, that is, true FOSS, true
Open Source GNU-compatible style, and on top when they are morally good.

The promise, for no warranted reason, of the imposition of Pulseaudio by
Mozilla, in my eyes, is a huge blemish on Firefox.

Yes, I'm afraid Firefox is morally tainted as FOSS. But there have been
other issues, and in this Gentoo Forum topic you may read more about
other issues that I haven't familiarized with:

Should firefox be removed from portage?
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1038430-start-25.html#7880354
I defended Firefox there (
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1038430-start-25.html#7878932 ) ,
and while I was right in that replacing it with something google, like
Chrom{e,ium}, is so much worse yet, and in that there were good sides to
Firefox that I posted about there, and those remain moot points for me
still, the promise of the imposition of Pulseaudio now sways my
remaining feelings away from loyalty to Mozilla

Also, read here:

Why was the default search changed to DuckDuckGo?
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4016

where find (just to whet your reading appetite):
> A little insight in the $300 million+/year that Mozilla makes as an
> Open Source software provider (and how income has grown more than
> expenses...)
> http://www.eweek.com/enterprise-apps/mozilla-revenue-tops-311-million-from-open-source-technology.html

(also btw, DuckDuckGo.com has been my own preferred search engine since
years now!)

Also read here:
Pale Moon, Geolocation and You
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3658

For newbie users of Palemoon: I have had a few minor issues (e.g. the
copying and pasting from navigation bar is not polished, clipboard
selection on navigation bar can get messed up on Alt-Tab'ing, which
issue Firefox does not have), but nothing at all large!

And the addons/extensions are a problem, because seeing a potential
capable adversary in its own fork, which Palemoon is for Firefox,
Mozilla has started deliberately messing up lots of plugins so that
Palemoon could not use them!
( E.g. from this page:
http://addons.palemoon.org/incompatible/
I tried ti open link under Privacy Badger:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/privacy-badger-firefox/versions/?page=1#version-1.0.1
but Mozilla reported a missing page. )

Pale Moon devs have been hard at work to adapt/fork the
addons/plugins/extensions:

Why do some extensions not work in Pale Moon?
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8740

[Downtime] and [Announcement] Project Phoebus - The Second Generation
Add-ons Site v1.0
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=13619

, and lets give them time to do so and support
them!

( But if Pale Moon were to start over-commercializing like Firefox, and
if they were disabling things like Firefox has started doing, I wouldn't
be supported them anymore. Which I hope would not happen. )

--
Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia