On 26/12/2016 20:24, lee wrote:
> Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 8:52 PM, lee <l...@yagibdah.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> I didn't see portage or anything else give me any instructions or
>>> warnings about this.  The names just suddenly changed, and that screwed
>>> things up.
>>>

>> https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2013-03-29-udev-upgrade.html
>>
>> This shows up in eselect news list (and so on), and portage will tell
>
> I never use that because I find it very awkward.  Why doesn't portage
> just send me the news by email?

It will if you set it up that way. It's not a default because portage
doesn't know your email address (unless you want to deliver mail locally
to root's mbox)

>> you when you have unread news items.  Note that it only shows up if
>> you have <udev-201 installed, but all news is in that repository.
>>
>> Generally you want to read those BEFORE you go installing packages,
>> since it may pertain to a package you're about to update.
>
> Updating usually affects over 200 packages.  What's a good way to read
> the news in advance?

I think you are conflating news with something else, perhaps elogs. Rich
means to run "eselect news list".

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com