Try this...

        ls -l /usr/src/linux
        uname -r

these should give you the same version. If not you need to adjust the linux
symlink to reflect the kernel version you are running. Then

        cd /usr/src/linux
        cp /boot/config-$(uname -r) ./
        make oldconfig && make

Now you should be able to do the emerges you wanted to. The point is to have
your source tree in working condition, and findable, as opposed to clean.

If you run different kernel versions often, try adding a few lines
to /etc/conf.d/ like

# -- quick hack to ease work of updating kernels and make emerges consistent
#
ebegin "Refreshing kernel source link to running kernel."
rm -f /usr/src/linux
if ! ln -s /usr/src/linux-$(uname -r) /usr/src/linux
then
        ewarn "   Bugger ... could not update. Please manually create the"
        ewarn "   symbolic link '/usr/src/linux' to the running kernel
source."
        ewend 1
fi
# --

--

I think we are in Rats' Alley where the dead men lost their bones.
                -- T.S. Eliot