Wes Gray wrote:
> # grep kde /var/lib/portage/world | sort
> kde-base/arts
> kde-base/kde-env
> kde-base/kde-meta
> kde-base/kdebase-meta
> kde-base/kdelibs
> kde-base/konqueror

Hmm, if I'm not mistaken, if you've emerged kde-meta, none of the
other kde things should be in your world file.  You've probably
done a few emerges without using the --oneshot option.  When all
the things below don't help, or have heleped, you may want to
delete the superfluous lines and do a fresh 'emerge -Du world',
just to be sure all is okay.

> # grep kde /etc/env.d/*
> /etc/env.d/46kdepaths-3.4:PATH=/usr/kde/3.4/bin
> /etc/env.d/46kdepaths-3.4:ROOTPATH=/usr/kde/3.4/sbin:/usr/kde/3.4
>/bin /etc/env.d/46kdepaths-3.4:LDPATH=/usr/kde/3.4/lib
> /etc/env.d/46kdepaths-3.4:CONFIG_PROTECT="/usr/kde/3.4/share/conf
>ig /usr/kde/3.4/env /usr/kde/3.4/shutdown"

Delete all the other kde files from /etc/env.d/, keeping only the
3.4 one.  The older ones are not needed any more since you've
uninstalled those versions, no?  This may solve some of your
problems by removing that KDEDIR env var.

> I suspect that if I could figure out why konqueror (and other
> apps) seem to still want to point to 3.1 libraries I could get to
> the bottom of my problems.

Maybe because of that KDEDIR var.  When you've deleted the obsolete
env files, do 'env-update' and restart KDE.

> # emerge -Dup world
> [...]

Okay, your system looks pretty much up-to-date.  But:

> [ebuild     U ] kde-base/kdebase-pam-6 [4]

Try updating this one, with 'emerge --oneshot kdebase-pam'.  It may
solve some access problems, maybe those of kicker.  After emerging,
log out and back in.

> # eix -e python
>[...]
>      Installed:           2.2.3-r6 2.3.5-r2

The ancient version is still installed, no harm in it probably, but
no need for it either.  If you wish, unmerge it with 'emerge -C
=python-2.2.3-r6', ignoring the warning.

> # emerge -p --depclean
> [...]
> !!! There appears to be a problem with the following package:
> !!! media-libs/libquicktime

Use 'eix -e ...'  to see which of these packages, libquicktime,
openquicktime, giflib, libungif, you've got installed, uninstall
each of them with 'emerge -C =...', and later let a fresh 'emerge
-Du world' install the one's that are really needed.

That's a long list...  So first resolve the blocking issues (if it
gives you trouble, search bugs.gentoo.org or the forums or the
archives of this list), then run 'emerge --depclean' in earnest to
get rid of all the obsoletes, after that do a 'revdep-rebuild', and
conclude with 'emerge -Du world'.

Perseverance,

Benno