On Saturday 04 Feb 2017 17:32:53 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Modern kernels DO get nervous if they have no swap at all - it's used
> internally. So make a small amount of swap to make the kernel happy, say
> 64M or so. Yes, megs.
>
> And if your machine sleeps to disk you will need swap large enough to
> store the memory image - it has to go somewhere and that is swap.
>
> That's my advice. Now let the nay-sayers begin the argument

No argument from me, Alan. It isn't just the kernel that gets nervous - I do
too if I don't have any swap available. I have 32 GB and an 8 GB swap, which
I'm thinking of reducing (the swap, that is). My SSD is only 256 GB and my
boinc partition has filled up today, so I need to recover some unused space.

--
Regards
Peter