I'm part way thru a fresh gentoo install and ran up on something in
the handbook guide to installing that is puzzling.

This URL:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Base#Distribution_files

>From the section of install during the chroot and start of putting
together the OS.

Under heading Timezone I find these sub headings showing examples of
what to do:

   root #ls /usr/share/zoneinfo

   root #echo "Europe/Brussels" > /etc/timezone

And there is a little part following that says:

   Next, reconfigure the sys-libs/timezone-data package, which will
   update the /etc/localtime file for us, based on the /etc/timezone
   entry. The /etc/localtime file is used by the system C library to
   know the timezone the system is in.

And sys-libs/timezone-data package is a hyperlink to a page about that
package.

What is really puzzling is the the words `reconfigure' that package.
But then there is nothing said about what this `reconfiguring'
consists of.

It used to be we just either copied the appropriate zimezone section
to /etc/localtime... or symlinked it there.

Can anyone explain what is meant by `reconfiguring' in this context or
how it is done?

The hyperlink leads to some info about the package but there is no mention
there of reconfiguring either.