On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 4:52 PM, Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:

> What is really puzzling is the the words `reconfigure' that package.
> But then there is nothing said about what this `reconfiguring'
> consists of.
>
> It used to be we just either copied the appropriate zimezone section
> to /etc/localtime... or symlinked it there.
>
> Can anyone explain what is meant by `reconfiguring' in this context or
> how it is done?

emerge --config sys-libs/timezone-data

All it does is copy the timezone data to /etc/localtime.

Setting /etc/timezone is still important, because it ensures that
anytime the package is updated the new data is copied over (a symlink
would also accomplish this).

Using emerge --config is a bit more elegant since it will tell you if
you made any mistakes in /etc/timezone, and perhaps at some point in
the future it might do other things.  But, you are correct that the
instructions used to just say to copy the file and be done with it,
and there is no real harm in doing it that way.  Just introducing
users to emerge --config probably has a little value in it.

--
Rich