On 03/07/2017 03:11 PM, David W Noon wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 14:20:54 -0700, Thelma (the...@sys-concept.com) wrote
> about "Re: [gentoo-user] Helvetica fonts" (in
> <a804e20a-da35-89f0-a70d-2e5c1d3a4...@sys-concept.com>):
>
> [snip]
>> It seems to me the problem is the creator of the pdf document (on my
>> system): pdfTeX-1.40.16 or cairo 1.9.5
>
> Cairo should not be part of the problem. It is a vector rendering
> library. The part of X.Org that renders text is Pango.
>
>> Viewing these document via evnce, gv, gimp etc it show normal, nice
>> fonts; but when I open (same document) locally created via "flpsed" the
>> fonts are very rough.
>>
>> When I try to open any other PDF file via "flpsed", not created by me,
>> the fonts are nice looking.
>
> Okay, I think we are getting somewhere now.
>
> If evince shows the documents well, but flpsed does not, it would seem
> to me that the documents contain ambiguous font information. The other
> PDF viewers [evince, gv, etc.] seem able to resolve the ambiguity, but
> flpsed does not. This would indicate that the documents are not well formed.
>
> Can you try another PDF builder, such as LibreOffice or OpenOffice?
>
> If flpsed renders these PDF's well then your PDF builder is at fault. It
> is putting into the documents font specifications that do not match the
> installed fonts. The other PDF viewers possibly use a fuzzy matching
> algorithm that overcomes the ambiguity to select a suitable font.

Yes, I think this is the correct conclusion.
I created PDF file using OpenOffice:
Creator:        OpenOffice 4.1.2
and flpsed displays the fonts very nice.

The two PFD documents that I created using both versions of Firefox:
www-client/firefox
www-client/firefox-bin

from pdfinfo:
Producer:       cairo 1.9.5 (using Firefox)
Producer:       pdfTeX-1.40.16 (using Firefox)

Both files are having problem viewing fonts using "flpsed".

--
Thelma