On 03/08/2017 11:32 AM, David W Noon wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 16:39:55 -0700, Thelma (the...@sys-concept.com) wrote
> about "Re: [gentoo-user] Helvetica fonts" (in
> <9082ed1b-ccad-31e6-36ff-33feb2d0c...@sys-concept.com>):
>
> [snip]
>> The two PFD documents that I created using both versions of Firefox:
>> www-client/firefox
>> www-client/firefox-bin
>>
>> from pdfinfo:
>> Producer:       cairo 1.9.5 (using Firefox)
>> Producer:       pdfTeX-1.40.16 (using Firefox)
>>
>> Both files are having problem viewing fonts using "flpsed".
>
> I have created a PDF of your message to which this message is replying.
> I used Thunderbird, which uses cairo-1.9.5 also. See if the attached
> document renders correctly with flpsed. If it does, the culprit will
> likely be pdfTeX-1.40.16. If it looks ugly, it could well be Cairo --
> but given Cairo's purpose, that seems unlikely.

The "Tbird_msg.pdf" you attached and other pdf files that I downloaded
from different places are using:  DejaVuSans.ttf font as well but they
look much, much nicer than the one I create using my Firefox.

XFT_DEBUG=1 flpsed Tbird_msg.pdf
XFT_DEBUG=1
XftFontInfoFill: /usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSans.ttf: 0 (14 pixels)

--
Thelma