On March 28, 2017 11:19:00 AM GMT+02:00, Jorge Almeida <jjalme...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 10:02 AM, J. Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org>
>wrote:
>> On March 28, 2017 10:39:22 AM GMT+02:00, Jorge Almeida
><jjalme...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> My laptop uses the integrated GPU 95รท of the time. For the occasional
>game I want to play, I can enable the NVidia chip.
>>
>> Support for Intel graphics is in the vanilla kernel, courtesy of
>Intel developers. With  6th generation i7, I can do most things. Only
>need the Nvidia chip for 3D games that need the higher performance.
>>
>> With just the Intel GPU, I can enable all the eye-candy that KDE has
>to offer and still have a responsive desktop. I don't use it all as it
>can make the interface unusable due to the actual effects.
>>
>OK, I need no 3D, and I don't game (not even occasionally :)) And I'm
>just an openbox user!
>
>Maybe someone with a 7th generation can share experience?
>
>The gentoo WiKI has a page about this stuff. Reading now...
>

>Thanks
>
>Jorge

If you just want 2D, then any GPU should work. Intel has very good support on
Linux.

For desktop effect, the '3D' capabilities of the GPU are being used. Intel GPUs
can handle those without issues. Unless the gen7 version isn't in the kernel
yet, expect to have to wait. But I wouldn't expect to have to wait very long.
But I wouldn't go for a newer gen7 CPU just for the GPU if not interested in 3D
games.

--
Joost