On 04/02/2017 06:55 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
  My best guess is that the problem was due to a recent update to
x11-base/xorg-server  On both my systems it now requires USE="glamor".
This may require changes to xorg.conf.  On my main desktop, with no
xorg.conf, X does the detection and configuration "auto-magically".  The
hot backup machine would have an old xorg.conf with old (i.e. wrong)
settings for the updated xorg-server.

This has been the case for many years now. Anyway, better late than never :-P

You do sometimes need some custom settings though. This goes in seperate *.conf files now, which must be inside the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory. Some packages can place a config file there automatically.