On 04/10/2017 12:07 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>> He [Alan Grimes] has new hardware (Ryzen) that needs 4.10 for proper support.
>
> I too have new hardware (An Asus Prime X370-PRO MB with a Ryzen 1700X
> processor), indeed so new that my first attempt to boot a minimal CD was
> less than an hour ago.
>
> The attempt, one must admit, was wholly unsuccessful.  I can boot into
> the minimal CD's opening overtures, at which I'm prompted to select a
> "kernel".  If I choose memtest86, it loads and displays its initial
> screen, then promptly crashes the system, leading to an automatic
> reboot.  gentoo-nofb boots, displays something about the number of cores
> present (It counts up to #16), displays some information about "PCI"
> (on, perhaps, 20 lines) and promptly crashes, blanking the screen and
> rebooting.
>
> My minimal CD is install-amd64-minimal-20170406.iso, so fairly recent,
> but built with kernel 4.9.16.
>
> Question: do I need a 4.10 kernel to be able to boot a Ryzen system at
> all?  If 4.10 is necessary, is it sufficient?

I've been doing a lot of research on Ryzen as I was considering an
upgrade myself. 4.9 has some support, so it should boot at least. From
what I read only 4.10 has full support.

Do be aware that there was a show-stopper bug in firmware[1] that was
causing hangs and lockups, have you upgraded your motherboard firmware?

I figured I'd wait another six months before committing to the thought
of any upgrade to give AMD time to sort the chips out. I myself was
eyeballing the 1700X or 1800X processor.

You might be better off booting a systemrescuecd or something like a
Mint CD. I flip-flop between the two of them.

Dan

[1]
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/246304-amd-fix-coming-fused-multiply-add-fma3-ryzen-bug