On Saturday, April 29, 2017 1:17:11 AM CEST Daniel Frey wrote:
> On 04/28/2017 12:51 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > Hello, Mick and the whole World.
> >
> >     # Load a linux kernel, passing the root filesystem and init process as
> >     parameters echo "Loading kernel..."
> >     echo "grub_platform = " $grub_platform
> >     gfxpayload=text # For debugging.
> >     linux /vmlinuz-4.9.16-gentoo root=/dev/md127 #rootfstype=btrfs
> >     init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd echo "just loaded kernel"
> >     boot
> >
> >     #echo "Loading initramfs..."
> >     #initrd /initramfs-4.7.2.img
> >
> > }
>
> Just FYI, I boot off of a RAID10 on imsm, albiet on older hardware. Some
> time ago there was a change that the kernel would not autoassemble a
> RAID with a kernel only, you need to use an initramfs. (OK, I just
> looked and all I find are "my raid won't boot" results rather than the
> changes I found a couple years ago. But I did try.)
>
> I spent a couple of days trying to get mine to boot and eventually went
> hell with it and used dracut to create an initramfs, and it was smooth
> sailing after that.

Raid-autoassemble still works, but you need to use the "0.9" metadata for
that.
If you use the new metadata (1.x), you will need an initramfs. Same when using
"imsm". I would assume the same is true when using "ddf".

I use my own initramfs embedded into the kernel, had too many issues with the
genkernel initramfs and dracut when I tried full disk encryption on my laptop.
My own version is a lot smaller and simpler to maintain and (more importantly)
debug.

--
Joost