On 05/06/2017 09:15 AM, Daniel Frey wrote:
> On 05/06/2017 06:15 AM, Philip Webb wrote:
>> 170506 Mick wrote:
>>> If you are going to change it, isn't there a HP device out there
>>> that Just Works™ with the hplip and potentially the hplip-plugin packages?
>>
>> Very unlikely : I have an HP printer, which also copies & can scan,
>> but it isn't supported by Sane-backends & would require much work.
>>
>> I plan to audit what I've installed carefully today
>> & if I still can't get it to work on Gentoo, I'll file a bug :
>> hopefully, whoever created the plugin for V600 can do another for V550.
>>
>> Also, I'll put the Epson install script on my Internet site
>> ( http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/test/ ).
>> I can't make sense of it, but perhaps someone here can tell me
>> what it does with the .deb files when it installs them.
>>
>> If it works on Mint, it sb possible to get it to work on Gentoo.
>> Usually in such cases, the secret is finding  1  small item
>> which needs to be fixed & then everything is ok : that's Gentoo's strength.
>>

> I had to buy a new scanner in late 2015 (I believe) and found a Canon
> LiDE 200. I got mine on sale for $90 here in Canada.
>
> This scanner doesn't have as high a resolution (it's only 4800dpi vs.
> the Epson you have's 6400) and there's no ADF. It comes with a bracket
> to make it sit upright.
>
> Main reason I bought it is because it uses the genesys backend in
> sane-backends and no additional configuration was required on my end.
>
> Do note that newer models than mine require some proprietary crap. I had
> to search out this model specifically. I've scanned many pictures and
> used it to restore an old user manual even, works pretty well for $90.
>
> Dan

Correction: my model is the LiDE 220, a 200 series model. From what I
remember it wasn't listed on the compatibility site but it did indeed
work. I don't remember having to do anything to get it to work, other
than maybe added the USB IDs so the genesys driver would use it.

# scanimage -L
device `genesys:libusb:001:002' is a Canon LiDE 220 flatbed scanner

Dan