Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> writes:

> On 30/04/2017 03:11, lee wrote:

>>> Half petabyte datasets aren't really something I'd personally *ever* trust
>>> ftp with in the first place.
>>
>> Why not?  (12GB are nowhere close to half a petabyte ...)
>>
>>> That said, it depends entirely on the network
>>> you're working with. Are you pushing this data in/out of the network your
>>> machines live in, or are you working primarily internally? If internal,
>>> what're the network side capabilities you have? Since you're likely already
>>> using something on the order of CEPH or Gluster to back the datasets where
>>> they sit, just working with it all across network from that storage would
>>> be my first instinct.
>>
>> The data would come in from suppliers.  There isn't really anything
>> going on atm but fetching data once a month which can be like 100MB or
>> 12GB or more.  That's because ppl don't use ftp ...
>
> I have the opposite experience.
> I have the devil's own time trying to convince people to NOT use ftp for
> anything and everything under the sun that even remotely resembles
> getting data from A to B...

I guess you're lucky then.

> (especially things that are best done over a
> message bus)

Why would anyone try to transfer data over a message bus?  Doesn't that
require extra wiring and specialized hardware?

> I'm still not understanding why you are asking your questions. What you
> describe looks like the ideal case for ftp:

it is

Still nobody uses it, and apparently ftp usage is generally declining,
so I would expect there to be a better alternative.

> - supplier pushes a file or files somewhere
> - you fetch those files later at a suitable time
>
> it looks like a classic producer/consumer scenario and ftp or any of
> it's webby clones like dropbox really it still the best tool overall.
> Plus it has the added benefit that no user needs extra software - all
> OSes have ftp clients even if it's just a browser

The users don't know about that.

--
"Didn't work" is an error.