On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 7:04 AM, Kai Krakow <hurikha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am Thu, 25 May 2017 08:34:10 +0200
> schrieb "J. Roeleveld" <jo...@antarean.org>:
>
>> It is possible. I have it set up like that on my laptop.
>> Apart from a small /boot partition. The whole drive is encrypted.
>> Decryption keys are stored encrypted in the initramfs, which is
>> embedded in the kernel.
>
> And the kernel is on /boot which is unencrypted, so are your encryption
> keys. This is not much better, I guess...

Agree.  There are only a few ways to do persistent encryption in a secure way:
1.  Require entry of a key during boot, protected by lots of rounds to
deter brute force.
2.  Store the key on some kind of hardware token that the user keeps
on their person.
3.  Store the key in a TPM, protected either by:
   a. entry of a PIN/password of some sort with protections on attempt
frequency/total
   b. verification of the boot path (which should be possible with
existing software on linux, but I'm not aware of any distro that
actually implements this)

If you don't have hibernation then you can just generate a random key
on boot, and that is very secure, but your swap is unrecoverable after
power-off.

Of the options above 3b is the only one that really lets you do this
with the same level of convenience.  This is how most full-drive
encryption solutions work in the Windows world.  Chromebooks use a
variation on 3a I believe using your google account password as one
component of the key and putting it through the TPM to have a hardware
component and to throttle attempts.

--
Rich