On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 10:16 AM, J. Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:
> On May 25, 2017 1:04:07 PM GMT+02:00, Kai Krakow <hurikha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Am Thu, 25 May 2017 08:34:10 +0200
>>schrieb "J. Roeleveld" <jo...@antarean.org>:
>>
>>> It is possible. I have it set up like that on my laptop.
>>> Apart from a small /boot partition. The whole drive is encrypted.
>>> Decryption keys are stored encrypted in the initramfs, which is
>>> embedded in the kernel.
>>
>>And the kernel is on /boot which is unencrypted, so are your encryption
>>keys. This is not much better, I guess...
>
> A file full of random characters is encrypted using GPG.
> Unencrypted, this is passed to cryptsetup.
>
> The passphrase to decrypt the key needs to be entered upon boot.
> How can this be improved?

The need to enter a passphrase was the missing bit here.  I thought
you were literally just storing the key in the clear.

As far as I can tell gpg symmetric encryption does salting and
iterations by default, so you're probably fairly secure.  I'm not sure
if the defaults were always set up this way - if you set up that file
a long time ago you might just want to check that, unless your
passphrase is really complex.

--
Rich