On 2017-08-01, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 Aug 2017 16:00:07 Alan McKinnon wrote:
>> >
>> > OK, next dumb question:
>> >
>> > There are 11 versions marked as stable for amd64.  How does one find
>> > out which version of GCC one is "expected to be on"?
>
> I can only see three versions marked as stable on the main portage tree, two
> of them being GCC 4 leaving one 5.4.0-r3 as the obvious candidate.  The
> remaining are Masked, or testing:

If you look at

  https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-devel/gcc

It showls eleven versions for amd64 in green with a '+' symbol.  I
thought that meant they were stable.  But, as there's no key on that
page explaining what the colors and symbols mean, I was evidently
wrong.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I was making donuts
                                  at               and now I'm on a bus!